C&O DEPOT, 4th Ave c. 1906.
- This restored depot is fronted by one of St. Albans, WV, original brick streets. The numerous tall windows, high ceilings and extended overhangs on the roof makes this one of the more architecturally detailed depots in W. V. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
- Originally turned over to the City of St. Albans in the late 1980's, it was initially leased by the St. Albans Woman's Club and then by the present Friends of the Depot.
- Filled with Rail Road photos, artifacts and museum pieces, it has become a significant museum for the Kanawha Valley. It is toured regularly by the area schools and is open by appointment.
- The group has acquired numerous grants and volunteer labor and materials over the past ten years to restore the Depot to its original appearance. The final touch was to refinish the floors which now look great. The above photos show a thru-way which was later enclosed.
- Adjacent to the Depot once stood the Freight Depot. The area is now occupied by a nice building housing the St. Albans Historical Society. It was built in 1998 to nearly match the architectural style and color of the Depot.
- The Depot and the adjacent St. Albans Historical Society occasionally work hand-in –hand and are open each fall when the Fall Train Excursion passengers board here for two weekends. Other Open Houses are conducted for special functions.
- The Depot is available for rent for receptions, Reunions, showers and other functions.
Also visit the Midland Trail Scenic Highway Association and view St. Albans: Click Here