St. Albans Parks & Recreation
P. O. Box 1488
St. Albans, WV 25177
St. Albans Parks and Recreation provide several activities throughout the calendar year for people of all ages. We are especially proud of our wide variety of facilities and activities, which occur all year long. Some of which include:
- Picnic Shelters
- Playground Equipment
- New Basketball Courts (Ordnance Park)
- Nature Trail
- Ball Fields
- Swimming Pool
- Haunted Trail
- Roadside Park Stage
- Movie Nights in City Park
- Boat Ramp
- Overnight Camping (two nights only)
- Tennis Courts
- Bike Trail/Walking Trail
- Historical Morgan's Kitchen and Archery Range
- Festival of Lights
The St. Albans Roadside Park is located on Route 60 (MacCorkle Ave.), and borders the Kanawha River. Picnic shelters are available with wonderful playground equipment for the physically challenged.
Overnight Camping sites are available, however, spaces are limited and it is a first come, first serve facility.
Limited to a 2 nights only within a 15 day period. A dumping station and water are available.
A Boat Ramp is also offered at
Roadside, for fishing or pleasure boats.
A 40' x 56' stage is available
Roadside is also home for the annual "RIVERFEST" held each year around July 4th.
Historical Morgan's Kitchen and Archery Range is located on Route 60, east of Roadside Park.
St. Albans City Park is located off of Observatory Drive. It offers picnic shelters which are equipped with grills and electric. These shelters can be reserved for gatherings by contacting the Parks Department.
The Park offers playground equipment, a Nature Trail and Bike Trail.
The City Pool, located in City
Park, opens Memorial Day weekend. The hours of operation are noon until 6:00 p.m., 7 days a week. The pool closes at 4:00 p.m. three times during
the season for swim meets. The pool is available to rent out for
birthday parties, reunions, etc. after pool hours. Swim lessons
The St. Albans City Park Amphitheater is located beside the City Pool. There is ample parking and it is handicap accessible.
Various groups and organizations provide the public with free entertainment at
various times during the summer/fall. The St. Albans City Park is home to the exciting St. Albans Festival of Lights, which takes place annually from November 30 through December 27. This Light show is a great family event, funded solely through donations. The Festival exhibits are designed and hand crafted by the Park employees. A 52' Sternwheeler, 40' Castle, 18' American Flag, Penguins and Igloo, and a Fire Breathing Dragon just to name a few. Parking is available to those who would like a visit with Santa. A photographer is available for those wishing to have their picture taken with Santa for a small fee. Hot cocoa, coffee and cookies are offered at no charge. The gates open at 6:00 p.m. and close at 9:00 p.m. seven nights a week. We are closed on December 24 and 25, reopening on December 26, with the final night for the event on December 27. For more information on the lights, please visit www.salights.com.
The Parks Department has numerous other parks throughout the city which are equipped with playground equipment, basketball courts and tennis courts.
- Baier Street - Playground equipment and Basketball Court
- C Street - Playground equipment only
- Ordnance Park - This area has playground equipment located on the corner of DeCharms Street and Knox Avenue. Tennis Courts and playground equipment are also located on the corner of Pfaff Street and Grant Avenue in Ordnance Park.
New basketball courts are located behind the tennis courts.
- Ravens Park - Located between S. Washington & MacQueen Blvd. This Park is not playground equipped, but benches are provided for the public
- Walk Memorial Park is located off of Highland Drive in the College Hill section of St. Albans. No playground equipment. Walking Trail.
The St. Albans Parks and Recreation Department offers various activities throughout the year for young and old alike.
- Summer Basketball League
- Cheerleading Practice
- Bagpipe Practice
- Grade School Fun Night
- Tennis Camps
- Basketball Camps
- Halloween Party
- Haunted Trail
- Movie Nights
- Easter Egg Hunt
- School Drawing Contest
- Concerts at Amphitheater
- Swim Team
- Swimming Lessons
- Pool Parties
- Magic Shows
- Handicap Top Soccer Program
- Challenger League Baseball at City Park
- Football Camps
- Self-Defense Classes
The Summer Basketball League is offered to boys and girls going into the 3rd grade through
8th. It is offered for six weeks beginning the middle of July running through August. It is held at
Ordnance Park outdoor courts on Monday and Thursday evenings, with games beginning at 5:45 p.m.. Cost per child is $30.00. Jerseys are supplied by the Parks Department. On the last night of the Summer League each child is presented with a certificate and trophy.
Listed below are events held weekly in our Water Company Basement (MUC) facility located at 1499 MacCorkle Avenue, St. Albans.
An Aerobics Class is offered to individuals of all ages. It is held on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Total cost for the eight weeks class is $25.00 for two nights, and $20.00 for one night.
Tuesday & Thursday - Cheerleading practice till 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
during Football and Basketball season.
Tuesday - Kanawha Valley Bagpipers practice 7 - 9:00 p.m.
Friday - Beginning in September and throughout the school year (except
December) the Parks Department offers a "FUN NIGHT" for 1-2-3 graders, and a
Dance for 4-5 graders for area St. Albans grade school kids. This event takes place
twice each a month on Friday evenings beginning at 7:00 p.m. These events are
FREE, with a D.J. providing music, refreshments and prizes are raffled out.
The Water Company Basement is also available for meetings, receptions, family gatherings, etc. If you would like more information on renting of this facility, picnic shelters, or any information concerning our ongoing activities please contact the St. Albans Parks and Recreation Department at (304) 722-4625 between the hours of
7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Tennis Camps are offered 3 different weeks in the Summer at St. Albans
High School Courts from 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Basketball Camp held at St. Albans High School - June/July grades 3-8
- Football Camp held in July for Elementary and Middle school kids
- Halloween Party is held each year at St. Albans High with the Anchor Club
judging on costumes, refreshments, music and games. K through 5th
- Easter Egg Hunt - four different age groups. Held at St. Albans City
Park. Savings Bonds, Easter baskets, food coupons and candy hidden in
eggs. There is also a special egg hunt for the handicapped.
- Local school drawing contests -- Halloween, Christmas, Spring,
etc...Elementary and Middle schools
- Music/Entertainment held at Amphitheater during Spring/Summer
- During the summer months pool parties for elementary and middle school
- Swim Lessons taught morning time during the summer months at City Pool.
- Swim Team "Barracudas" participates in meets throughout the
valley. Practice held at City Pool. Ages 7 to 18 years.
- During school year, we have 2 magic shows for kids at St. Albans Water Co.
- Handicap Top soccer program held in Spring/Fall for 5 weeks at Ordnance
- Challenger Baseball for handicap held at City Park
- Haunted Trail - two weekends in October in city park
- Movie Nights - in city park during the summer.